Saturday, May 30, 2009

Mandate History

Here is a Makor Rishon item, reporting on the fact that the Menachem Begin Heritage Center received a cloth banner that had been strung up on wires over Tel Aviv streets back in 1946.

The banner, made out of what appears to be sheet material, was taken by a British policeman and upon his death, his daughter bequeathed it to a Dr. Michael Bloch living in Germany who then passed it on to the Center.

The newspaper item shows the original picture taken actually by an Irgun activist and the banner today. On the left is Yisrael Medad, Director of Information Resources who located the 1946 photograph and Rami Shtivi of the Archives on the right.
blog comments powered by Disqus